Tuesday, September 4, 2012

100% Whole Wheat Bread

I think store bought bread is gross. Plus it has a lot of additives that I prefer my family not eat. I have perfected my homemade bread. This is my favorite recipe (believe me, I have tried lots of recipes).
photo from kingarthurflour
This is a stickier dough as well so keep that in mind.

Whole Wheat Bread


8 cups whole wheat flour (White wheat is BEST!!!! I grind mine right before I make this bread so the nutrients are fresh)
2/3 cup vital wheat gluten
2 1/2 tablespoons yeast
5 cups steaming hot water (I just use hot from the tap)
2 tablespoons salt
2/3 cup oil
2/3 cup honey (If you use a liquid measuring cup and add oil first and then honey to same cup, the honey will slip right out)
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 cups whole wheat flour (You will need to adjust this amount. I usually use about 2 cups)

Preheat oven to lukewarm and turn off (about 150 degrees).
Add 8 cups flour, yeast, and gluten. Mix, then add 5 cups water. Mix for about 1 minute, then cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Add salt, oil, honey, and lemon juice. Mix for 1 minute. Add the last of the flour until dough pulls away from the sides (add a bit at a time to figure out what amount works best. Keeping in mind this dough is stickier but it should not stick to sides when mixed). Let dough mix for 5 minutes after you add the last of flour. If you add more flour, you have to mix for another 5 minutes. Use cooking spray NOT FLOUR to form dough and place in baking tins. Let it rise in the warm oven until it reaches top of pans. I just set my timer for 30 minutes. Turn oven on to 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes (my oven takes about 25 minutes). It makes 5 loaves. I found you need the metal pans to fit five pans in the oven, but that all depends on your oven size. It took me 2 times of making this recipe to get it just right for our needs, but it is so worth it. The bread is delish and healthy.

**If you use a kitchen aid, you will need to cut the recipe in 1/2**

No comments:

 
Designed By Aqua Poppy Designs for Therapeutic Crafting.
© Copyright. All Rights Reserved.